Wednesday, March 16, 2011

sometimes things are worth eating twice... or six times.

I am pretty excited to share this next recipe. Sometimes I get a little too enthusiastic when I come up with a good recipe. I made this and seriously ate it a million different ways. And every time it was just as delicious. If you couldn't tell, I am a huge fan of Mexican food. For me it is the easiest to cook at home and get tons of flavor but still keep it low calorie. I feel like such a dork for it, but I can live with that.

So here is what the recipe consisted of.

Ingredients:
1 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup of white onions, chopped
1/2 cup black beans
1/2 cup of corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped.
1 jalapeno seeded and finely chopped. (I use a half of one because I don't seed mine.. cause I like the heat)
1 whole chicken breast, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup of GF salsa
corn tortillas (I use Extra Thin Corn Tortillas)
shredded cheese
1 lime


In a large saucepan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onions and let them cook until transparent. Then add in the black beans, corn, bell peppers, and jalapeno. Cook for about 5-8 minutes.  You'll know when it is ready. Once that is cooked, transfer it to a bowl and in the same pan and add the chicken. You can add in a little bit of olive oil if you'd like. Once the chicken is cooked about halfway through, add the salsa. Let the chicken cook through. Once it is, transfer the chicken to a cutting board and chop it up. Once it is chopped up, add it to the vegetables and beans, squeeze the lime over it and mix it up.




Avocado Dip:
1 avocado
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (I also use about 3/4 of the jalapeno and i don't seed it... i like for mine to be extra spicy!)
1 lime
dash of salt

Add the avocado, jalapeno, lime juice and salt in a bowl and puree it until smooth with an immersion blender. Mine actually just broke, so i use my magic bullet :)



I've literally eaten it a bunch of different ways. You can try any of the following:

As a taco. 


As a Quesadilla


As a baked taquito


For the taco:  
Wrap the tortillas in a wet paper towel and heat for about 20 seconds. This helps the tortillas from falling apart. Spread the avocado dip on the bottom and then add the mixture on top and sprinkle with cheese.


For the quesadilla:
In a small skillet, add a little olive oil and let it heat up. Once it has, place one of the tortillas as the bottom and add a small layer of cheese. Add the mixture on top and then sprinkle a little more cheese on top of that. Then place the other tortilla on top. Once it starts to brown on the bottom, flip over and allow for the other side to brown.  Cut up and serve with salsa and avocado dip.


For the taquito:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a small skillet, add a couple drops of olive oil and heat up the tortillas a little on each side. This helps when rolling them. Once they are warm, add a few tablespoons of the mixture and sprinkle cheese on top. Then roll them and place them on a greased baking sheet. Cook for about 12 minutes until crispy. Serve with salsa and avocado dip.

One night I sprinkled some cheese on top and ate it by itself... it was really good that way too! As you can see, I thoroughly enjoyed this dish. I hope you guys like it as much as I did :)

xoxo
katy




No comments:

Post a Comment