Monday, June 6, 2011

cinnamon roll cake.

Who doesn't like cinnamon rolls? Ya, nobody. They are amazing. Now, I never actually eat them because I'm pretty sure eventually you would have to carry me out of my house via a crane. But every once in awhile it is good to treat yourself to something sweet. Unfortunately sweets are hard to come by. So I found this recipe via Picky Palate and thought I would make it GF.

For the cake:
3 cups of gluten free flour blend
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons of baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 stick of butter, melted

For the streusel:
2 sticks of butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp gluten free flour blend
1 tbsp cinnamon

Cream cheese frosting:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup of butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix together GF flour, xanthan gum, salt, sugar, milk, eggs and vanilla. After all of it is combined, stir in melted butter. Pour the batter into a 9x13 greased baking dish and set aside. In another bowl mix together the the butter, brown sugar, GF flour, and cinnamon until combined. Pour the streusel over the top of the batter and with a knife swirl through the cake. Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.

While that is cooking, in a large bowl mix together the cream cheese and butter until it gets a nice creamy texture. Once combined, add in the vanilla. Then mix in the powdered sugar slowly. Once the cake is done cooking and is cooled, frost the cake with the cream cheese frosting and serve!


I love cream cheese frosting so I decided to do that instead of the glaze it originally called for. This cake was A M A Z I N G! Everyone loved it! Nobody could tell it was GF. Which obviously means my work  is done :)

My sister is a photographer, you can check her out at Melissa Vossler Photography. She is helping me update things around here... and what better place to start than with new pictures. I happened to have this cake made so we took a picture of me enjoying a bite. I figured it was fitting to share it on this post.


See, I really did like it... but maybe not as much as how corny this photo is :)

xoxo,
katy

5 comments:

  1. Amazing is right, that cake would be one yummy treat. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could I use the Red Mill all purpose flour instead of the blend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelley, I usually use the Red Mill for any type of frying I do. For baking, i find that the texture of that flour doesn't quite taste right and makes it a little grainy. It seems like a daunting task to make the flour blend, but it is really simple! I usually make a big batch and put it in a ziplock bag and freeze it! Then I have it on hand...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what I didn't check your message until just now but I did make the cake on Father's Day for my family and the Red Mill was all I had on hand, but it tasted so FLIPPING good. I wanted to cry. I have been dying for a cinnamon roll ever since I became gluten free. I actually got a gluten free one from a bakery and it tasted awful. This was just like eating the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO GLAD!!!! That makes me happy :)

    ReplyDelete